Two requirements for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Dependent Visa


I wrote about my adventures to get a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Dependent Visa route. Still, recently have got an interesting question. Does a partner of Exceptional Talent Visa holder need to prove the level of English to get a visa?

To start with the answer, I must say shortly, no.

The partner or any other dependent does not need to prove skills or abilities in relation to Global Talent Visa. For example, the same this rule is relevant for Exceptional Talent Child too. You are the main Global Talent Visa applicant and you do not need to apply any IELTS or TOEFL. The same situation is with Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Dependent Visa. They do not need a certificate to prove the level of English. At the same time, traditionally, there is a space for one small BUT…

I have to say that there are two important things for dependents. They must exist in a moment of your Global Talent Visa application. Specifically, I write about (1) link between the main recipient of visa and a dependent, (2) Tuberculosis Test Certificate (optional).

The link between Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Dependent Visa and main receipient

There is a key factor that will influence the final decision. Your partner’s visa application is based on the assessment of your relationship.

You must provide proof that the person is your family member and depends on you in his or her life.

You do not need to be married. Or if you are married – you do not need to have long term of your marital status. Also, there are no requirements to have children.

Dependent of Global Talent Visa recipient does not need to be Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise
Dependent of Global Talent Visa recipient does not need to be Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise. (S)he is allowed to know only your native language and does not speak English at all.

Actually, your dependent is allowed to have very short knowledge about your area of expertise. (S)he may not speak English at all. It’s completely fine if your wife or husband will not have any job, bank account or anything else. Purely, because this person has a dependent status, the Home Office does not have any specific requirements. You, as the main recipient of Global Talent Visa, have more obligations and requirements than your dependent.

You must demonstrate that you have a direct link with your dependent. It may be a marriage certificate (please, translate it if not in English). Or in a case, when you are not officially married – provide a proof of your relationship. It will be harder than in a case with official marriage. But, surely, still possible.

There is a clue what documents you must bring to show off your relationship (for instance, civil partnership). Please, follow this link to get the details from the Home Office.

Tuberculosis Test Certificate

The only individual document that your dependent (both Partner or Child) needs is a Tuberculosis Test Certificate if you arrive from any of the 101 countries listed here.

Particularly, you, as the Global Talent Visa applicant, and your dependent need to have this certificate if you are a resident of Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brunei, Burma, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Cameroon, China, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea and Ethiopia.

Also, you must have this certificate if you are from Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Macau, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria and North Korea.

Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Rwanda, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe are also in this list, so if you (and your dependent) are residents of these countries – please, get your Tuberculosis Test Certificate before you will apply for Stage 2 of Global Talent Visa.


If your dependent will fail to pass this certificate, then you will be in trouble. In other words, (s)he has tuberculosis. That’s why this is a reason for the rejection of his or her visa application.

But surely there are no legal reasons for rejection if you will not apply any other certificate or bank account statement. You do not need any other documents, except Tuberculosis Test Certificate. Get it and you will be ready to get Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Dependent Visa.

Talent Visa Help has been created for informational purpose and is not an official guidance for Global Talent Visa (Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa) application.

Talent Visa Help should not be used as a substitute for the official Tech Nation Guideline or Home Office Guideline. Talent Visa Help is NOT linked either with Tech Nation or Home Office. The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the texts belong solely to the authors at Talent Visa Help. The contents of Talent Visa Help do not constitute legal advice and authors accept no liability for the accuracy of information provided. Applicants should always consult the official governmental guidance and seek professional immigration advice where appropriate.

For additional assistance, please, contact

Author: Andrii Seleznov

This blog is written by Andrii Seleznov. Andrii is a holder of Tier 1 Exceptional Promise visa. He is an experienced entrepreneur, professional engineer, founder and CTO at Petiole and Alumni Mentor at GIST Tech-I Competition

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *